The Portland Education Foundation (PEF) is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
- Advocating for Excellence in Education
- Connecting Schools and Our Community
- Supporting Students and Teachers
Community Engagement and Collaboration
- Involve Portland's business community in support of our schools
- Engage Portland's rich and diverse array of arts/cultural/multicultural/community organizations in the enrichment of students' educational experiences
- Align our efforts with the Portland Public School District by communicating closely with the Superintendent, School Committee, and PPS staff on an advisory basis while maintaining autonomy in our organization's management, finances and decision-making.
- Champion Portland Public Schools, celebrate their achievements and strengths, and unite parents across the district in support of all of our schools.
- Foster conversations between PTOs across the district in an effort to advocate for all Portland Public Schools, not only those each parent's own children attend.
Funding Educational Initiatives
- Award grant funding annually to teachers and students through a competitive process which recognizes innovation and excellence.
- Serve as an administrative and legal structure through which the district can receive large grants and through which donors can make secure, tax-deductible contributions for the betterment of Portland Public Schools.
- Raise funds through events which bring attention to student achievements, and celebrate the strengths of our schools and programs.
- Seek funds in a way that does not hinder with the PTO/PTA needs to support their individual schools, or compete with the ongoing business relationships benefiting individual schools.